zengun

weblog

20050301

Love, your dearest spammee

In the course of February, Spam Karma saw 2932 spam attempts here.
Out of these, 18 made it through and landed online (including a set of ten at once). That’s not a 100% score, just over 99.3%.

What really amused me with comment spam attempts was the neverending flow of “compliments”. There was just something ironic about a bot thanking you for your efforts over and over again, in dozens of ways.
So from day one I kept a mailbox full of compliments I received, and finally yesterday I went through the e-mails and compiled a list of the 83 ways spammers love me.

Without further ado, I bestow upon thee visitor, The Automated Guestbook!
(See also: Philosophic interlude.)

13 responses

1. test

#1 test — 2005/03/01 at 11:10

2. I think you’re a big fat doodyhead!

:P

#2 Online Poker — 2005/03/01 at 22:13

3. What a great post. You are a genius !

#3 Laurent2005/03/02 at 0:04

4. You self absorbing narcissist freak. :D

#4 Alvin2005/03/02 at 0:24

5. [...] iled over 400 spam comments since February 20th). Before that, I noticed in WPs Dashboard, a blog entry from zengun.org, it seems he had the same thought I did and [...]

#5 dieKrahe.com » Spam Praise2005/03/02 at 12:07

6. Haha, that’s awesome. I was just talking about the same thing on my own site. I debated about keeping a compilation of them, but you beat me to it.

#6 indieb0i2005/03/02 at 17:53

7. In the beginning, I fell for it. But that was way back when I got my first guestbook spam. By now probably only the noobs fall for it.

#7 Spamhuntress2005/03/04 at 21:09

8. Hmm, so 1.5 is still vulnerable to comment spam but not as much right? What about trackback spam?

#8 Aaron2005/03/08 at 3:18

9. Si vous en chercher un en français, voici l’occasion de ne garder que le début de ce commentaire. I think to leave the open comment are one of the forces of the blog, because they return the freedom of expression and the right of reply.

#9 temps2005/03/09 at 21:37

10. Pagerank is the real problem source for spaming.

#10 Warcraft2005/03/17 at 21:16

11. [...] and in honor of “yellow monkey”s post earlier, this is kinda weird. a whole bunch of artificial compliments? what gives? [...]

#11 soapbox » Blog Archive » speaking of the s-word that used to mean “canned meat”2005/08/24 at 18:15

12. [...] It’s funny, while Veronica and I were on vacation, I checked my email a few times and was noticing all the digests SpamKarma was sending me about the spam comment junkola it was eating up. The trend I noticed was a ton of automated praise these spammers were spewing. So, when we got home, I checked SpamKarma (It’s nailed over 400 spam comments since February 20th). Before that, I noticed in WPs Dashboard, a blog entry from zengun.org, it seems he had the same thought I did and put up a page with all the fake praise. So, I figured I’d do the same thing. Why not? [...]

#12 Blackhole on the Edge of Cyberspace » Blog Archive » Spam Praise2006/09/23 at 17:56

13. for WordPress