zengun

weblog

20070611

native works both ways… or does it?

So, in the young years of OS X, thousands were complaining that Office and other mac ports of Windows software didn’t look native enough. There is even a vocal group advocating native Aqua controls for Firefox on OS X.
Now, Apple just released Safari for Windows, complete with Aqua scrollbars and widgets. I’m waiting to read the rants of those pro-native users, about how Cupertino’s team could and should have made Safari fit in on Redmond’s desktop. Oh that’s right, not their problem.

(I’m going through the “mild hate for hype” part of my love-hate relationship with OS X, and software in general. Among my drafts is a rant on the annoyances in Coda…)

6 responses

1. Michel, If I was Steve Jobs I would have made sure Safari runs 100 per cent perfect on any Windows machine. Why? The ability to say that Safari works better than Explorer (no crashes etc.) would have been worth almost any development cost. I can even see those stupid Mac vs PC commercials right now talking about Safari.

#1 Dave2007/06/19 at 20:41

2. I hope as soon as possible I can taste the advantage of Safari as my main browser. Unfortunately its release version still beta version. Apparently, I using Opera 9.2 :D

#2 Suray - Suray's Words - SurayBlog2007/07/20 at 12:17

3. Safari will not work long enough on Windows before locking up or something else strange to have enough time to evaluate the whole “native” argument. The issue is pretty obscure for most users: I’ve never heard one person complain that I-Tunes did not look “native” enough. Just that it was buggy and constantly made them update.

#3 Doug Bird2007/07/25 at 14:26

4. Hi there;

is “prisoners overseas” in action anywhere?

I have two American friends that were just arrested in Haiti and are currently in prison there.. we are trying to find them referrals there and locate any advocacy groups that we can.

#4 Veleda — 2007/07/26 at 22:02

5. Mac OSX forever! :-)

#5 javico2007/08/04 at 0:29

6. When will it release?

#6 Amit2007/08/10 at 18:38

Your words

Required fields:
Are marked by this sign: *
XHTML:
On comment spam/irrelevance:
Your comment may be moderated or considered as spam by the leprechauns running this server. If you get a 412 error or a mean message, it may be that they thought it was spam: try wording the comment differently or remind me to put up a contact form so you can warn me about the problem.
Of course, once the leprechauns are done doing their magic, I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason.